On a cold, snowy Sunday, nothing sounded better to me than some hot tea, a blanket, and a good movie. Of course, once the movie starts rolling, a snack soon becomes necessary and thats how I ended up baking chocolate chip cookies.
This recipe has easily become my absolute favorite. Pictures and words truly don’t do these cookies justice. They are gooey and soft and pure perfection. Directions are below!
Ingredients (makes approximately 2 dozen depending on size):
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2- 2 cups chocolate chips (depending on personal preference)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl
- Cream melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl
- Beat in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk to the liquid mixture
- Mix dry, sifted ingredients, about a cup at a time, to the liquid mixture
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Roll dough into the desired size balls and bake 10-12 minutes (I typically roll them about the size of a golf ball and push the tops down a little to flatten them slightly)
- In this particular recipe pictured below, I did not have vanilla extract so I substituted almond extract (which I actually prefer!)
- You can add the desired amount of chocolate chips based on your personal preference; while the recipe calls for 2 cups, I usually use more like 1 1/2 cups
- Depending how gooey you like the cookies, bake them approximately 10-12 minutes; 10 minutes for more gooey and longer for less gooey
- To see if the cookies are done, check the bottoms, not the top; the tops will still seem doughy even when the bottoms are done! (and it’s easy to burn them)
If you wanted to spice up the recipe a little bit, my family also likes to make butterscotch-white chocolate- milk chocolate chip cookies! Instead of 2 cups of chocolate chips, substitute 1/2 a cup of butterscotch chips, 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, and 1/2- 1 cup chocolate chips.
So there you have it! The best chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world!